Thursday, November 8, 2012

Weasel Politics

The "fiscal cliff" situation is pretty fascinating. Everybody knows it will only be solved if both sides give a little. It's been fun watching Republicans try to come up with sneaky ways to raise revenue without actually raising the rate on the rich. My favorite so far was Tim Pawlenty on CNN tonight saying that maybe they could just look at the entitlements (Medicare, Social Security)that the rich receive. That's not a compromise, it's just a very bad joke.

6 comments:

free0352 said...

You do realize that raising taxes will not raise enough revenue right?

Snave said...

Sure, it's going to take a combination of a number of things, like making some cuts and staying out of wars for a while, as well as raising revenue.

jim marquis said...

Of course I realize that, Free. I said in the piece that both sides need to compromise.

I've always been amazed when people say we shouldn't raise taxes on the rich because doing that alone doesn't solve the problem. Its like saying we can never go to war because airpower alone won't get the job done.

Demeur said...

I personally wouldn't mind if they dumped all the Bush tax cuts. For me it amounted to about $25 a week. I'd sure rather give that up and be working rather than sit here with no opportunities.

jim marquis said...

I agree, Demeur. There will be short term pain but everybody would have skin in the game and ultimately it would help us get our fiscal house in order.

free0352 said...

Its kinda funny how you guys love to talk about more taxes (as long as those raises aren't on yourselves) but won't even entertain the idea of cutting big bird.

I say if you want to raise taxes, start with your own income. Then I'll listen.