Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Quick Spins

Love the new Shoes album. This is a band that I first heard about in college, clear back in the late 70's/early 80's. Awesome power pop, reminds me of Cheap Trick and Fountains of Wayne in spots. One of the highlights is "Hot Mess", a totally great Stones rip-off.
I've been a big Ben Folds fan for over a decade now. He has reunited with the Ben Folds Five (there are only three of them including Ben)and produced the wonderful album "The Sound of the Life of the Mind." It's a nice addition to his discography. Highly recommended for anybody who likes intelligent keyboard based pop.
The new Aerosmith album might grow on me. But so far I'm not all that impressed...just kind of feels like a whole lot of musical "product". They should have left four or five of the weaker cuts off it.

4 comments:

Snave said...

I have yet to hear the Ben Folds and Aerosmith, but have the Shoes CD and I love it too. Lots and lots of fun!

jim marquis said...

Snave, did I send you a copy of the new Donald Fagen yet?

Snave said...

Nope, I have read some good reviews of it, though!

Scott said...

Ooo .. not heard of Shoes. Sounds like it may be something I'd like. I will need to check it out James. Aerosmith album is pretty weak AND way too LONG ... and not heard the BF one yet.

I review Aerosmith in the latest podcast (as well as new Kiss, ZZ Top and Tame Impala albums)

http://cttbmusic.co.uk/169889452