Sunday, August 7, 2011

Quick Spins



I've picked up some great new music lately. The Fountains
of Wayne cd "Sky Full of Holes" just arrived this past
Tuesday. This album doesn't really break new ground but
the songs are still great. I especially like their lyrics...
sometimes hilarious, sometimes poignant, sometimes both.



Jesse Sykes and the Sweet Hereafter- "Marble Son" I'd heard of this
band but never actually heard them until yesterday. They combine
alt-country with some gorgeous psychedelic atmosphere on this disc.
Good from beginning to end.



My friend Dave described some of My Morning Jacket's earlier music
as sounding like it was made by ghosts. On "Circuital" they've
turned down the reverb and created a solid, joyous piece of work.



If you're in the mood for a nice mix of musical styles, check out
"Culture of Fear" by Thievery Corporation. It's electronica
blended with reggae, old school soul and a whole lot of other
good stuff.

4 comments:

Snave said...

I've seen Jessie Sykes before, she is pretty good. Kind of like a female version of Neil Young in some ways.

J. Marquis said...

Was she at Sasquatch?

Snave said...

Yes, I think it was several years ago I saw her there. I'll have to check out what she has been doing since then! When I saw her she was doing a kind of acoustic-electric folk-rock thing, and she and her band sounded good.

Scott said...

FoW album has kind of washed over me. It's perfectly fins and couple a really good tunes, but not much dragging me back to it.

Like the Jessie Sykes stuff, and TC are a band I keep meaning to get around to every year. Maybe I should make time for them now.